Friday 14 November 2008

Cars and Cuisine

End of week two, generally pretty good, a few surprises but all in all pretty good. I met the manager of our biggest customer, expected it to be really challenging, turned out it was enjoyable, positive and nowhere near as difficult as I first thought. Met up with a "loyal" member of staff and it was crap, but those situations can be the same the world over.

I got a car today, when I say car I mean truck, when I say truck I mean a great big hulking Ford 150 that is the size of a small bedsit you could pay considerable cash for in inner London.

While, as I have made clear, I quite like the American way of life in general, I do however really struggle with this one. It's just massive, it's slow, comber some and stops well within a mile of when you first apply the brakes! I am obviously in a minority of one because EVERYONE has one. This is the standard issue vehicle for our company, and the one I have is going on to a more deserving home shortly when my permanent, and slightly less enormous, chariot arrives. The intended owner arrived today to have a look at his new truck (I hope I don't scratch it before he gets it!) he had his wife with him, and they were just soooo in love with the new beast, don't get it, never will, but on the plus side it does do almost 14 miles to the gallon!!!

I have just had my tea in my very nice hotel room. I have had a superbly cooked sirloin, with mushrooms and a jacket potato with just loads of stuff on it, butter, cream, bacon bits, you name it this potato had it, that would be no surprise to anyone who knows me. What may surprise some folks is the starter, I enjoyed it almost as much, which is unusual as it was a salad! I do not mean the lacklustre wish washy salads of the UK this was an enormous salad with everything you have ever seen in a salad with it, apart from pasta as that would constitute a different meal entirely. Still not convinced? Well nor was I until you add the dressing, again not the coloured water of my home, but thick cheese sauce, thousand island with lumps, honey and mustard with real bees ( well almost) they are gorgeous. I have eaten at least one salad every day since I have been here, considering my "5 a day" at home was more like 5 a week this is a huge change, like the gym, this US lifestyle might be good for me! I was reliably informed by some dear friends that I would be the size of a house upon my return, and with an overwhelming choice of food outlets that could have been the case.

There is a two tier food outlet system here and the upper end will keep you in fine fettle, steak houses, pasta, fresh fish, Thai food, Sushi and this is the restaraunt within a five minute walk of the hotel, all serving the marvellous salads. However, beware the familiar. I think I mentioned I was a little unwell not long after my arrival? Well as I felt a little better I really fancied some chicken, not just any chicken, but some KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN with FRIES and an unfeasibly large COKE. I had been thinking for hours of this meal. Hours and hours, and eventually I dragged my poorly butt out of bed, washed, dressed and feebly but determinedly set off for the good ol KFC. I walked in to the luxury surroundings of the Twin Falls KFC and imagine my delight when I saw many free tables, apart from what looked like a married couple, one of whom (him) was massive, she was a little less large, but unfortunately had an oxygen tank and one of those tube under the nose jobs, not the best advert for the fare available.
Undeterred I walked manfully up to the counter, ordered a KFC chicken breast meal, no bones and very nice in KFC Shrewsbury, Shropshire. The 10 year old girl serving, obviously felt sorry for my ill health, and offered to bring my meal across. She then handed me an enormous Coke cup, free refills, like anyone could drink two, and off I hobbled with the first part of my days desires fulfilled.

As I sat watching the healthy couple in the corner my meal arrived, it had chicken without doubt, but no fries, instead there was a large dollop of mash potato, and the side serving that in the UK would be a small serving of baked beans or sweetcorn etc was around half a pound of cold slaw which was disappointing, but nowhere near as disappointing as the whole thing being covered in gravy, thick really horrible gravy. My enjoyment knew no beginning!! It was only around £4 so one shouldn't really complain.

Until you consider the afore mentioned meal. I had a great salad with blue cheese dressing, a superb 8oz (cooked) Sirloin, with fried mushrooms and the fully covered baked potato. Also included were some cake things which I couldn't manage. This was delivered to my door, with delivery and a service charge included, for..................................... ..... £11.75!!!! It's not worth eating at the crappy places, it really isn't!

1 comment:

  1. And u know it isn't even real proper tato they serve - tis reconstituted freeze dried stuff. Yack..... Stick to the 'healthy' salads dude!!

    ReplyDelete